Monday, May 17, 2010

Money, Money, Money

Can anybody really imagine what it might be like to win a huge amount of money?

I think we all dream about it all the time (well, I know I do!). But can you seriously imagine what it would be like to have that much?

It would scare me half to death, and somehow I don't think I'd be telling the papers.

The thing is, money brings out the worst in people, it truly does. One sniff of it, and people start crawling out of the woodwork. And when it comes to money, people can turn ruthless. I know this from first hand experience.

It seems to affect our powers of reasoning. We turn into jealous crazed monsters at the thought of somebody possibly having something that we want, but just can't manage to get for ourselves.

I've learned some tough lessons of my own regarding money. I've learned you should be careful about who you trust. Even those in 'authority' are not always what they profess to be.

I've felt despair because of lack of money, and seemingly endless financial demands.

But I keep telling myself the same thing;

Money can't buy happiness. It may be an old adage, but it's a very accurate one. It can't buy happiness,nor can it buy peace of mind. And you won't sleep better at night with a full bank account, knowing you've taken that money from somebody who trusted you.

I'm under no illusions that book writing is going to make me a vast amount of money. I won't be giving up my day job any time soon, that's for sure!

I'd be happy to get through life knowing that I don't owe anybody anything, I reckon that would be enough for me.

That, and a clear conscience. The knowledge that I have never deliberately screwed somebody over for their money.

Fraud is my dirty word for this week. Sadly, it's all around us. It taints all those it touches, and it is born of greed and self interest.

So, let's ponder the words of one far more sagacious than little old me, just for a minute ;

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed.

Buddha

Worth remembering, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment