Saturday, September 10, 2011

A tribute.........

It’s time to begin again….

On June 25th, 2011, my world changed forever. Not only my world, but also the worlds of my children, my mother, my brother and his family, and my sister, and her family too.
Death, when it comes suddenly and without warning, will take our collective breath away, and leave us bereft and distraught.
Everything stopped for me. I went into ‘auto-pilot’ mode, and have been that way ever since. I function, but I do not live. I exist, but there is no joy. This is a non-sustainable state of affairs. My dad would not want me to be so unhappy. I need to think about his life, what he achieved, and the example he set to me…….

So, Dad, this is what you taught me……..

None of us is perfect, not even you. We all stand up for our mistakes and move on from them as best we can.
Truth is imperative in this life. We do not lie, and we do not cheat.
Money is important, but self-belief and education are more so. Success is measured not in financial wealth, but in emotional as well as financial stability.
Don’t suffer fools gladly……not ever. If your gut says they’re fakes…….they’re fakes.
Stand up for your family. They are all that matters. Be there for them, no matter what.
Be proud of your kids. They may make mistakes, but as a parent, it’s your duty to love and respect their decisions…..even when you know they’re wrong.
Honour your partner. Stand by her/him through thick and thin (unless you’re married to a nutter)
Love your family: Your kids, and grand kids, are the product of you. Love them to the ends of the earth.
Be true to yourself: Pursue the things that matter to you, and live a fulfilled life.
Do what you can for others: Help those who need you. Support where you can. Get involved in your community. Be a pillar for others.


Dad, you did all this, and much, much more. You were not a perfect man (nobody is) but by golly you came close. What a Dad, what a Granddad. I rue the day I ever complained about your minimal faults. What I wouldn’t give to have one more day with you. To remind you how much you meant to us all. To thank you for all the support you gave us all. And to tell you, that you were one of the best Dad's ever.....

You will always be our hero. But it's time for us to look forwards now. You'll always be with us, but we have to move on. Suspended animation is not sustainable.

I'm going to try. We're going to try. To move on. xxxx

But we still love you Dad xxxx


xxxx

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This moved me to tears. How proud your Dad would be of you and what you have achieved. You are an amazing woman and that is, in part, thanks to your wonderful Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words touched my soul. I too lost my dad in June.

    ReplyDelete